We love reusing containers, it's the reason we exist! Not only does it save bottles from landfills, it conserves the energy required for producing new bottles as well as the energy used for recycling bottles. If you're living low waste you likely have bottles piling up at home that you'd like to reuse, so we made a guide for how to do that safely.
The reason more companies don't offer refills is due to fear of contamination. Our products are plant based and while they do contain preservative systems, those preservatives are naturally derived and will only prevent yeast, mold or fungus from growing when contaminants like tap water, dust or old product residue is not present.
Because of this, it's very important to fill only very clean and 100% dry containers especially when using natural and plant-based products for face and body like lotions and oils. When refilling with the same product or topping off, we recommend a "bottle reset" by sanitizing once a year in between refilling to preserve the life of your product for the following year.
While we encourage refilling all types of containers, glass and #5 plastics are best. Glass is not porous and is easiest to sanitize. Some plastics, on the other hand, can hold onto bacteria or mold so sanitizing can be tricky. Polypropylene containers, also known as #5 containers are the sturdiest of plastics and can be cleaned at high temperatures which make them the best plastic for refilling soaps and cleaning products.
HOW TO SANITIZE & PREP CONTAINERS FOR REUSE:
- Remove all prior residue from your container with hot water and soap or run through a dishwasher after removing all product residue.
- Glass can be sanitized by placing in boiling water for 5 minutes. This is specifically recommended for leave-on skincare and face products.
- For plastics, we recommend a final rinse of 120 proof (60% alcohol) everclear which helps evaporate any excess water remaining. You can also use our Hand Sanitizer for that last rinse as well.
- Be sure your containers are completely dry before bringing them in to be filled.
HOW TO CLEAN TOPS AND PUMPS
- Clear pumps and tops of all residue.
- Rinse with 60% alcohol. For pumps, flush all product by pumping hot soap and water through until all product residue is gone. Then pump 60% alcohol (120 proof everclear or our sanitizer) through for at least 10 pumps.